Saba is an island in the Caribbean and a special municipality (public entity) of The Netherlands. The island is known for its beautiful scenery and diving. Mount Scenery, at 887 meters high, is the highest point in the Dutch Kingdom. The island is five square miles and has approximately 1900 inhabitants. There are four main villages: The Bottom (the capital), Windwardside, St. John’s and Zion’s Hill.
This beautiful island is in search of a:
Hands-on manager who focusses on organizational development
Saba Government is responsible for a broad portfolio of different topics: the harbor, the airport, garbage collection and the recycle facility, community development and public health, tourism, planning, public works, agriculture, vector control and hygiene, economic affairs and of course census, receivers, finance, human resources, ICT etc. For some time now Saba government is investing in practical results of the organization. We see that in the infrastructure on island, in the social domain and in other fields that are visible to the public.
At the same time we started with developing the internal organization. We did that with strengthen different positions in the organization and training. Now it’s time to make new steps in developing our organization. Our focus is on managing our teams better and on implementing different instruments that make our organization more robust. Focal points are: management of teams, performance of the teams, plan and monitor work, organization wide processes and procedures and a better eye for the positive strengths in our organization.
We are looking for an experienced person, a manager who knows what it takes to make these topics work in practice. You fall directly under the island secretary (the head civil servant). You work next to the department heads we have already and support them. Are you this experienced grounded manager who enjoys developing organizations by coaching people and who at the same time is a practical person in implementing managerial instruments?
- You are a practical person who has fun in achieving every day goals and who works towards realizing more long-term goals.
- You are able to work with different personalities and you are an experienced manager who was the leader of different teams.
- Your task will be to work in the entire organization and especially in the infrastructure domain, public works. You have a coaching style and do that in a practical way.
- You are familiar with describing processes and procedures, and implementing different management instrument such as planning and monitoring tools.
- You have at least a bachelor’s and preferable a master’s degree and management experience is a must.
- You are fluent in English as the spoken language on Saba is English.
We offer a 1 year contract which consists of a 39.5 hour workweek and a locally competitive salary, along with good secondary work benefits.
Please submit your application letter and CV, ultimately April 22nd, 2019. These can be emailed to HRM manager, Miguela Gumbs, firstname.lastname@example.org with a copy to island secretary email@example.com. Both persons can be contacted for additional information.